Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
General Howell / Captain Suter
General Joshua Blackwood Howell 1806-1864
Fort Howell is named for General Joshua Blackwood Howell of Pennsylvania, who commanded the Hilton Head District, Department of the South, United States Army, from February through April, 1864. His brigade was then transferred to the Army of the James in Virginia. He was injured while commanding a division near Petersburg and died on September 14, 1864. He was posthumously promoted to Brigadier General of Volunteers.
Captain Charles Russell Suter 1842-1920
Fort Howell was designed by Captain Russell Suter, Chief Engineer of the Department of the South, United States Army (May, 1864 to October, 1865). Captain Suter had been with the Army of the Potomac in 1862, and assisted in building bridges across the Potomac and in constructing defenses at Harpers Ferry. He was assigned to the Department of the South in 1863 and participated in the siege of Confederate Battery Wagner and the bombardment of Fort Sumter (1863 and 1864). On August 17, 1864, he was ordered to design and begin construction on the earthworks that would later be named Fort Howell. The fort
Erected by Hilton Head Island Land Trust.
Location. 32° 13.964′ N, 80° 41.641′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached from Beach City Road 0.2 miles south of Dillon Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker located inside Fort Howell Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 160 Beach City Rd, Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forts of the Civil War Era (here, next to this marker); The Troops that Built Fort Howell / Camp Baird (here, next to this marker in Florida); The Story of Fort Howell (a few steps from this marker); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Howell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mitchelville Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherry Hill School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Also see . . . Fort Howell. Hilton Head Island Land Trust (Submitted on April 9, 2019.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 7, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.