Penn Quarter in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Church of the Epiphany
Civil War to Civil Rights
—Downtown Heritage Trail —
were packed away...
ambulances began to stop...
lastly come the surgeons....”
Margaret Leech, Reveille in Washington.
Church spires dominated the skyline of the city of Washington at the time of the Civil War, symbolizing the importance of houses of worship in the religious, social and political life of the nation’s capital. While Washington still claims an extraordinary number of historic downtown churches, the Church of the Epiphany is the only original pre-Civil War downtown church building to survive. Its walls were witness to the suffering of the wounded soldiers for whom it was a temporary hospital. Here, as in other churches, planks were laid on top of the pews to make a platform for the beds.
Episcopalians founded the Church of the Epiphany in 1842. By the time of the Civil War, it was located in a residential neighborhood of strong Southern sympathies. Washington, although the capital of the Union, was a Southern city, carved originally from the states of Maryland and Virginia. Many Washington residents had
At one time, Senator Jefferson Davis, who became the president of the Confederacy, lived nearby and was an Epiphany member. Senator Judah P. Benjamin, later Davis’s attorney general, and Senator Robert Toombs, who became Davis’s secretary of state, lived on then-fashionable F Street one block over from the church.
The Reverend Charles Hall, Epiphany’s rector, balanced his Southern sympathies with loyalty to the Union. He was so persuasive about his loyalty in a meeting with Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton that the latter began to attend worship services at Epiphany on a regular basis, using the former pew of Jefferson Davis. With Stanton as an example, many Union generals, too, began to attend Epiphany. President Lincoln himself came here for the funeral of General Frederick Lander of the Army of the Army of the Potomac.
below and right
The Reverend Charles H. Hall and The Church of the Epiphany about 1860. New York Avenue Presbyterian Church is in the background. (The Church of the Epiphany.)
below and left
Southern sympathizers leave the capital for friendlier locations. (The Historical Society of Washington, D.C.)
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number W.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Downtown Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 53.905′ N, 77° 1.822′ W. Marker is in Penn Quarter, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on G Street Northwest west of 13th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1317 G Street Northwest, Washington DC 20005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dorothea Dix 1802 - 1887 (a few steps from this marker); Jane Addams 1860 - 1935 (a few steps from this marker); Susan B. Anthony 1820 - 1906 (a few steps from this marker); Ida Wells-Barnett 1862 - 1921 W.E.B. DuBois 1868 - 1963 & Mary White Ovington 1865-1951 (within shouting distance of this marker); Luther and Charlotte Gulick (within shouting distance of this marker); Discover DC / Metro Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Harriet Tubman circa 1820 - 1913 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Penn Quarter.
Regarding The Church of the Epiphany. U.S. National Register of Historic Places (1971)
Also see . . . The Church of the Epiphany - history. (Submitted on April 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,150 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on April 7, 2019, by Bruce Guthrie of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 7, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.