Kingston in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Kingston Methodist Church
The large, handsome bell in this church, a gift of John Pendleton King, U.S. Senator, president of the W. & A. Railroad, for whom Kingston is named, for 100 years has been the town fire alarm and has announced the return of peace after four years. It can be heard over a radius of four miles. In 1906 the church was rebuilt on its present location.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-49.)
Marker series. This Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 14.117′ N, 84° 56.685′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and Elliott Street, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston GA 30145, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sherman’s March to the Sea (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Hospital Site of Wayside Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Surrender of Confederate Troops (about 400 feet away); Confederate Memorial Day (about 600 feet away); The Andrews Raiders at Kingston (about 600 feet away); House - Site Thomas V. B. Hargis (about 600 feet away); Rome Railroad (about 600 feet away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,621 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.