Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. This church originally stood at the corner of 10th and Market Streets and was the first Presbyterian church in the city. It was constructed in 1740, just after Wilmington received its charter from King George II. Following the Battle of the Brandywine on September 2, 1777, the British used the building as a hospital. After the congregation moved to a larger church in 1878, the Delaware Historical Society used the building until 1916. The church was then moved to this site in Brandywine Park to allow for construction of the Wilmington Library. The building is now operated by the Society of Colonial Dames of America in Delaware, serving as a reminder of Wilmington's role during the American Revolution.
 
Erected 2000 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-77.)
 
Location. 39° 45.068′ N, 75° 32.867′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of South Park Drive and West Street on South Park Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Looking Back (within shouting distance of this marker); Sugar Bowl (approx. 0.2 miles away);
First Presbyterian Church Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
2. First Presbyterian Church Plaque
This is the original
Presbyterian Meeting House
built in 1740
near Tenth & Market Streets
Presented by
The First Presbyterian Church
of Wilmington, Delaware
to
The Society of Colonial Wars in the State
of Delaware
and
The National Society of the Colonial Dames
of America in the State of Delaware
and re-built here by them in 1918
John McKinly (approx. 0.2 miles away); Richard Bassett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brandywine Village (approx. mile away); Joseph Tatnall House (approx. mile away); African American Medal of Honor Recipients Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Old Cathedral Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
 
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
3. First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
4. First Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,512 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement