Near Hancock in Delaware County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Reflections on Five Hamlets
The Largest Community in the valley was Cannonsville, a center of commerce and civic life. Presbyterian Baptist and Methodist Churches served both spiritual and temporal needs. The Cannonsville Community House hosted dances, lectures, and meetings, and housed a library. The area was home to a number of musicians, who often played at house parties and barn dances.
The Hamlets of Granton, Rock Royal, Rock Rift and Beerston also had schools, stores, post offices, and businesses. Those communities and dozens of outlying farms were acquired by the City through eminent domain and were removed to make way for the Cannonsville Reservior, built between 1955 and 1967. More than 900 people were displaced and 2,000 graves relocated.
Photo Captions, starting at top left and going clockwise:
The Beerston schoolhouse, circa 1890. Beerston , settled by Connecticut emirgants, was first called “the Den.”
This unusual stone barn, built by David Lewis in Rock Royal, was so strong that dynamite was required to remove it during reservoir construction.
The forests along the Delaware
The Rock Rift acid factory used timber to make wood alcohol and other chemicals. Some 200 people lived in the hamlet, many of them in company-supplied housing.
Rock Royal was a self-sufficient community and was among the first in the area to supply homes and businesses with electricity.
A passenger waits for a train at the Rock Rift station of the Ontario and Western Railroad. The O & W was nicknamed by some the Old & Weary. It operated through 1957.
Location. 42° 4.828′ N, 75° 19.298′ W. Marker is near Hancock, New York, in Delaware County. Marker is on New York State Route 10 south of Sands Creek Road, on the right when traveling south. At the dam site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hancock NY 13783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Village of Deposit Incorporated 1811 (approx. 4.6 miles away); Home of First Bank in Deposit (approx. 5.2 miles away); Oldest Building In Deposit (approx. 5.2 miles away); Site Of First Store In Deposit (approx. 5.2 miles away); Revolutionary Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); First Bank Building In Deposit (approx. 5.2 miles away); Delaware County (approx. 5.3 miles away); This Boulder Marks The Fort Stanwix Treaty Line (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Reflections on Five Hamlets.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.