James Stephen Hogg
(March 24, 1851-March 3, 1906)
He championed the common people. An intellectual and physical giant, personally fearless, he saw Texas as victim of Wall Street greed, and corrected many injustices. To equalize business opportunities among great and small, he led in creating Texas Railroad Commission, hailed as a model throughout the world.
Public office left him financially insecure. Later came wealth, which has been invested by his heirs in Texas mental health and culture. His wife was Sallie Stinson of Wood County.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8961.)
Location. 32° 47.743′ N, 95° 27.114′ W. Marker is in Quitman, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (Texas Route 37) and East Goode Street (Texas Route 154), on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Located at the Wood County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Main Street, Quitman TX 75783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wood County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Ambrose Fitzgerald (a few steps from this marker); County Divided into School Districts (a few steps from this marker); The Cathey Buildings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Quitman (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. H. Jones and the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Stephen Hogg's Early Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); James A. Stinson Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quitman.
Categories. • Government & Politics • Notable Persons •
More. Search the internet for James Stephen Hogg.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.