Colonel John L. Camp
In Civil War, organized and was elected captain of Co. E, 14th Texas Cavalry (dismounted), unit in famed Gen. M. D. Ector's brigade. In thick of fight, in Tennessee and Georgia, was wounded twice, captured twice, was in prison camp at the war's end.
Elected to Congress in 1866, was denied his seat because of Confederate service. Served as district judge and state senator. Campaigned for adoption of Constitution of 1876, to end Reconstruction in Texas.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9788.)
Location. 33° 2.322′ N, 94° 57.574′ W. Marker is near Pittsburg, Texas, in Camp County. Marker is on U.S. 271 half a mile north of County Road 4114, on the left when traveling north. Located at a southbound pull-off. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburg TX 75686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp County (here, next to this marker); Stafford-Paris House (approx.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on John L. Camp. (Submitted on September 10, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Politics • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Colonel John L. Camp.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.