Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Dammed in 1930
In 1624, Governor Sir Francis Wyatt granted Edward Waters a patent for 100 acres between Waters Creek and Blunt Point. Waters had served on the ill-fated voyage of the ship Sea Venture under Sir George Somers in 1609. After the vessel wrecked off Bermuda, the survivors constructed the ship Deliverance and sailed on to Virginia. It was this wreck that William Shakespeare immortalized in his play, The Tempest. Waters continued to serve at sea until his marriage to Grace O’Neil in 1618. The couple settled on his patent six years later and then acquired another hundred acres in Buckroe. Before his death in 1629, Waters served as a member of the House of Burgesses, a militia officer, and a justice. His name remained linked to the waterway until the creek was dammed in 1930. A gristmill was erected on Waters Creek sometime in the seventeenth century, and successive mills (including Causey’s Mill, completed in 1866) operated there until the late nineteenth century.
Erected 2007 by Newport News Founders’ Trail.
Location. 37° 3.553′ N, 76° 29.018′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Warwick Boulevard (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Estelle and George Abernathy (a few steps from this marker); Leifr Eiriksson Captain Christopher Newport (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church Morrison (approx. 0.7 miles away); Morrison (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hidenwood (approx. 0.9 miles away); Capture of the 'Patriot' (approx. 1.2 miles away); Skirmish at Waters Creek (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker contains a portrait of Governor Sir Francis Wyatt.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,113 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on September 30, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on September 30, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.