Bedford in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This tablet marks the building used by President George Washington as his headquarters October 19 and 20, 1794, when he was in Bedford, in charge of the United States Army, which was enroute to quell the Whiskey Insurrection in western Pennsylvania.
Erected 1926 by Bedford Chapter D.A.R.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 1.147′ N, 78° 30.176′ W. Marker is in Bedford, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is on Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is about 200 feet west of Richard Street (Pennsylvania Route 220). Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 East Pitt Street, Bedford PA 15522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Espy House (here, next to this marker); "King's House" (within shouting distance of this marker); This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson House (within Forbes Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fraser Tavern (about 400 feet away); Grist Millstone (about 400 feet away); First Court House and Prison Built in 1774 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bedford.
Regarding George Washington. Espy House has been designated a National Historic Landmark 1983
Also see . . . The Espy House in Bedford, PA. (Submitted on December 3, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 886 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.