Washington in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Telegraph Street / Millcreek Mills
Millcreek Mills. Machine Creek was the original name of Millcreek. John M. Chidester sold the water rights from Machine Creek to Brigham Young in 1864 so that the cotton factory could be built. It must have been after all of the mills were built along the creek that the name Millcreek came into existence. There were at least 8 mills built along the creek: #1 James Richey’s cotton gin was built in May, 1858. The first cotton gin built in the area. #2 Thomas W. Smith’s corn cracker mill was built in 1857 about halfway between Telegraph Street and the mouth of Millcreek where it enters the Rio Virgin. #3 Theodore Turley had a gristmill a few hundred yards below where the cotton factory is. John D. Lee purchased this mill and later sold it to Henry Barney of Grafton before 1860. #4 John D. Lee’s grist and lumber mill was finished
Erected 2000 by Washington City Historical Society.
Location. 37° 7.805′ N, 113° 30.806′ W. Marker is in Washington, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is on Telegraph Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 151 W Telegraph, Washington UT 84780, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington City 1857 (here, next to this marker); ZCMI Co-op Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Relief Society Hall (about 600 feet away); Thomas W. Smith's Corn Cracker & Grist Millstone (about 700 feet away); Washington Cotton Factory (about 700 feet away); a different Washington Cotton Factory (about 700 feet away); ZCMI Co-op Building 1875–1921 (about 800 feet away); Prominent Pioneer Men and Women Who Helped Settle Washington City (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,029 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on September 20, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3, 4. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.