Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
—Lee's Retreat —
After Lee crossed the river, he told an officer, "It has happened as I told them it would, at Richmond. The line has been stretched until it has broken." The several columns soon converged near Goode's Bridge, where most crossed into Amelia County to continue the march west. The units that had been at Five Forks, however, remained
On the hill across the river is the village of Ettrick, home during the war to many employees of the cotton and flour mills that surrounded Campbell's Bridge. The Ettrick Manufacturing Company, Battersea Mills, and Matoaca Manufacturing Company produced fabric for Confederate uniforms. The Georgia Confederate hospital was located in a grove nearby. In March 1865, a railroad spur from Dunlop's station, to the north on the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad, was completed into Ettrick. A quartermaster center there transferred supplies over the pontoon bridge to the Petersburg lines.
In April 1865, members of the 1st Maine Cavalry and a local woman named Anna E. Trueman opened the "Ettricks (sic) Free School" for village residents. The school was held in the Methodist church for eight weeks.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 13.93′ N, 77° 25.017′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is on Fleet Street (State Highway 36), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in a parking area for a city park overlooking the Appomattox River. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Appomattox River Heritage Trail (a few steps from this marker); Ettrick (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Methodist Meeting House (about 500 feet away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Henry (approx. half a mile away); Joseph Cotten (approx. half a mile away); Tavern Park (approx. half a mile away); General Lee's Headquarters (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
More about this marker. In the lower center of the marker is a map showing the retreat route. When Lee's Army of Northern Virginia evacuated Richmond and Petersburg on April 3, 1865, it took the routes west indicated in red. Lee himself followed the solid red route. The Union Army of the Potomac, under Grant and Meade, took the roads indicated in blue.
On the upper right is a photo of Ettrick mills from Campbell's Bridge, 1865.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,198 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 9, 10. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.