Near Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
In 1900, a display of the rare Aragonite Flos Ferri was awarded the Grand Prize at the Paris World's Fair.
Recognized by the State of California as a Point of Historical Interest on August 2, 1985.
Location. 38° 9.111′ N, 120° 28.768′ W. Marker is near Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker can be reached from Sheep Ranch Road. Touch for map. Mercer Caverns is located one mile north of Murphys. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1665 Sheep Ranch Road, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Patrick's Catholic Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Compere Store (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of E.C.V. Saloon (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Heinsdorff Bakery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away); E Clampus Vitus (approx. 1.2 miles away); William Gordon Huff (approx. 1.2 miles away); Maj. James D. Savage (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
More about this marker. The marker is by the cave entrance, and is visible from the parking lot.
Regarding Mercer Caverns. The cave was first used by the Yokut Indians as a mortuary cave, and then rediscovered some time later in 1885 by a gold prospector, Walter J. Mercer. Tours of the cave began almost immediately, with Mercer making improvements to make the cave more accessible. In 1888, while in the cave, Mercer fell some 30 feet, severely injuring his spine. He died 12 years later of complications from his fall. In 1946, the name of the cave was changed from New Calaveras Cave to Mercer Caverns. Tours are available, and go as deep as 160 feet below the surface.
Additional keywords. Caves
Categories. • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 10, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 2,027 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.