Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1963 by Hilton Head Island Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-11.)
Location. 32° 14.095′ N, 80° 40.689′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Fort Walker Drive near Circle at Catesby Lane, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in Port Royal Plantation - a secure gated community - Restricted entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Hilton Head Island SC 29928, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Port Royal ( a few steps from this marker); Two Gallant Gentlemen from South Carolina ( within shouting distance of this marker); Steam Gun ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Walker ( approx. 0.2 miles away); "Robbers Row" The Dawn of Freedom: Mitchelville ( approx. half a mile away); The Battle of Port Royal/William Fitzhugh and Black Sailors in the Union Navy ( approx. half a mile away); Black Troops on Hilton Head ( approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Regarding Hilton Head. Port Royal Plantation has long been a center of activity on Hilton Head Island, originally used by Native Americans for hunting and seafood gathering for hundreds of years. The bluffs of the plantation were first sighted in modern times by Spanish Captain Pedro de Quexos in 1521, and were subsequently claimed by English Captain William Hilton in 1663, from whom the Island takes its name. He was followed by a succession of Spanish, French and English explorers and traders.
Also see . . .
1. From Wikipedia, Hilton Head Island or Hilton Head. Since the beginning of recorded history in the New World, the waters around Hilton Head Island have been known, occupied and fought for in turn by the English, Spanish, French, and Scots (Submitted on February 18, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. History of Hilton Head Island. In 1663, the abundant, untamed island was surveyed by William Hilton, an English sea captain, sailing from Barbados in search of tropical lands on which to establish profitable English plantations. Hilton then claimed it for the British crown, establishing the legacy with his own name...Hilton's Headland. (Submitted on February 18, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. Captain William Hilton
... an exceptional seaman who was dubbed "William the Mariner" because of his ability. At the age of six, he became one of the first English settlers in North America when he settled with his mother at the Plymouth Colony.
By the 1660's, Hilton was in Barbados, a small British island colony involved in the growing of sugar cane. Growers in Barbados were in need of new land in which to grow sugar and other crops and, thus, Captain Hilton was sent by a group of planters to the Carolinas to find new land. On September 28, 1663, aboard his ship "The Adventure," Hilton sighted the "head" of the island which now bares his name. An account of his exploration, published in London in 1664, attracted the early settlers to Hilton Head Island. (The Captain William Hilton Chapter
— Submitted February 23, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,620 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on September 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on February 18, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.