Bishop in Oconee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
1758 – 1830
Erected 2009. (Marker Number 108-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 48.033′ N, 83° 25.567′ W. Marker is in Bishop, Georgia, in Oconee County. Marker is on Macon Highway (U.S. 129) one mile south of Price Mill Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4141 S. Macon Highway, Bishop GA 30621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker E. D. Stroud School (approx. 3½ miles away); Elder Mill Covered Bridge (approx. 3.6 miles away); Birthplace of Bishop A. G. Haygood and Miss Laura A. Haygood (approx. 4.2 miles away); Oconee County (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 4½ miles away); Eagle Tavern (approx. 4½ miles away); Jeannette Rankin's Georgia Home (approx. 5.3 miles away); Bostwick (approx. 6.7 miles away).
More about this marker. The John Andrew marker was originally erected in the 1950s by the Georgia Historical Commission. It was removed prior to 1975, and state records indicated that it would not be replaced. The new landowner cleaned up the gravesite in 2006, and the DAR installed grave markers in 2006. This marker was installed in mid-March, 2009, in spite of the 2001 date on the marker, and to the suprise of the land owner. Its source in uncertain.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Notable Persons • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for John Andrew.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,300 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Closeup pictures of the markers at the grave site. • Can you help?