Near Armiesburg in Parke County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Christmas (Noel) Dagenet
Born December 25, 1799 near Terre Haute; baptised by Father Rivet, missionary at Vincennes. Son of French fur trader Ambrose Dagenet and Mechinquamesha, sister of Wea chief Jacco. Served Wea nation and U.S. government at Treaty of St. Mary's signed 1818. Married to Mary Ann Isaacs 1819 by Isaac McCoy at his Baptist Indian mission near here.
Recommended by William Clark to work for U.S. government as Interpreter, receiving $400 per year, June 1824 through 1827. He selected land here to fulfill grant in Treaty of St. Mary's; land recorded 1824. Family moved west 1847. Dagenet employed in the last removal of Miamis from Indiana beginning 1846. He died before April 10 in 1848.
Erected 2004 by Indiana Historical Bureau and the Dagenett Family. (Marker Number 61.2004.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 46.218′ N, 87° 21.07′ W. Marker is near Armiesburg, Indiana, in Parke County. Marker is on County Road N600W north of Road W40N, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker sits just North of Armiesburg but is listed with a Montezuma
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Armiesburg (approx. half a mile away); Montezuma Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Wabash & Erie Canal (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Hillsdale Steps (approx. 2 miles away); Hixon Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Oakland Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Replica of Ernie Pyle Monument (approx. 5.7 miles away); Parke County Veterans (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Christmas (Noel) Dagenet Historical Marker Dedication. (Submitted on March 27, 2009.)
2. Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 21, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,146 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 23, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.