Near Elkton in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission, Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
Location. 39° 38.521′ N, 75° 51.985′ W. Marker is near Elkton, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on Blue Ball Road 2 miles north of Maryland Route 279, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkton MD 21921, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cecil County Doughboy Monument ( approx. 2.8 miles away); “Partridge Hill” ( approx. 3 miles away); Elkton ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Fighting Back ( approx. 3.1 miles away); War in the Chesapeake ( approx. 3.1 miles away); "O! say can you see..." ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Mitchell House ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Elkton, Wedding Capital of the East ( approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkton.
Also see . . . The Mackall Myth. This marker recently replaced a marker here that was wrong! This page on the Historical Society of Cecil County website explains. (Submitted on July 18, 2007.)
1. History of the current structure
The Maryland Historic Trust Historic Sites Survey says the following, probably written in the 1980s, "Twice destroyed by fire within the last ten years, it is now nearly impossible to authenticate the 1740 date usually ascribed to this stone house. The north, three-bay half is probably older and had corne rbrick fireplaces on each floor, with a side hall-double parlor plan, an arrangement not usually found at that early a date. The south, two bay wing had a single fireplace on each floor and a one-room plan. A four-bay kitchen wing, also built in two states, extends from the east side of the house."
While the historic photographs show an entirely stone house, recent ones show a combination of stucco and siding. The footprint occupied by the house, as seen in aerial photographs, is consistent with the shape of the historic structure. The Maryland Department of Assessments describes the property as a 1680 house of the "1/2 stucco siding" type (the date is rather off, but this establishes
All of this leads one to conclude that at some time after the fire, a rather extreme renovation of the house was executed. It is not clear how much of the historic fabric of the house remains, though, from the recent photograph, one might conclude that the amount of original material remaining is quite small.
— Submitted March 4, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
Categories. • Military • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,354 times since then and 204 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on January 10, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.