Lake George in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Bateaux Below, Incorporated.
Location. 43° 25.567′ N, 73° 41.817′ W. Marker is in Lake George, New York, in Warren County. Marker can be reached from County Route 9L 1½ miles north of U.S. 9. Touch for map. Route 9L is a right hand turn off of US Route 9 heading north from exit 21 of the Adirondack Northway, Interstate Route 87. The turn is at a traffic light directly opposite the Howard Johnson Restaurant. From this turn, Wiawaka Holiday House is 1.5 miles on the left. Marker is in this post office area: Lake George NY 12845, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Radeau Warship (approx. 0.7 miles away); Radeau Land Tortoise (approx. 0.7 miles away); Submerged Track (approx. 0.7 miles away); Military Dock (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sunken Fleet (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ethan Allen tour boat tragedy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Colonial Maritime Heritage (approx. 0.7 miles away); Delaware & Hudson Railroad (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake George.
More about this marker. The marker
Regarding Wiawaka Bateaux. In the fall of 1758 after General James Abercrombie and his army had been defeated at Fort Carillon (Fort Ticonderoga), they retreated to the head of Lake George and built many bateaux, two radeaux and a sloop. The intent was to use these vessels in a new assault against Fort Carillon the following year. However, Fort William Henry had been destroyed the year before by French forces under the command of General Montcalm and there was no place for the British to garrison troops for the protection of the vessels. With winter coming on, the vessels were intentionally sunk in Lake George with the plan to raise them in the spring, thus protecting them from French raiding parties. Not all the vessels were recovered.
Additional keywords. Sunken Fleet of 1758
Categories. • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2009, by John Farrell of Lake George, New York. This page has been viewed 901 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2009, by John Farrell of Lake George, New York. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.