Near Kennesaw in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Baird’s, together with 1st and 2d divisions, were camped along Proctor’s Cr., E. - a part of the concerted drive on Johnston’s forces [CS] near Kennesaw. Heavy rains halted military movements for several days in this area.
Oct. 9. Baird revisted Durham house enroute to Gaylesville, Ala. in pursuit of Hood’s forces [CS] withdrawing to Tennessee.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-27.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 1.097′ N, 84° 40.53′ W. Marker is near Kennesaw, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Acworth-Due West Road 0.2 miles north of Mars Hill Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kennesaw GA 30152, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Route of Polk’s Corps (approx. 0.4 miles away); Peters-Davenport House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Stilesboro-Sandtown Crossroads (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site ~ Mason’s Bridge (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of Old Allatoona Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); General Leonidas Polk Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Pine Mountain (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lt. General Leonidas Polk Killed at Pine Mountain (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kennesaw.
Regarding Durham House. The Durham House is no longer standing.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 946 times since then and 36 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.