Washington in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
This township includes the villages of Woodville, New Preston, Marbledale, Washington, and Washington Depot. The eastern section, first settled by Joseph Hurlbut in 1734, was known as the Parish of Judea and belonged to Woodbury. The western section, first settled in 1741, was called the Parish of New Preston and belonged to New Milford. The present town was incorporated in 1779, being named in honor of General George Washington, who traveled through this area several times during his wartime journeys and breakfasted with his staff at Squire Cogswell’s tavern in New Preston on Friday, May 25, 1781. For many years Washington was principally a farming community. Among early local industries were ironworks and quarries run by waterpower along the Shepaug and Aspetuck Rivers. The local economy now consists of small retail outlets and a few remaining farms. Several well-established private schools are also a vital part of the community.
Daniel N. Brinsmade. 1751-1826. Lawyer.
Ephraim Kirby. 1757-1804. Served in American Revolution and in Connecticut Legislature. Published first fully developed volume of law reports in this country.
Horace Bushnell. 1802-1876. Lawyer, noted preacher and writer. Ordained pastor of North Church of Hartford (1833). Later selected site of future University of California.
Frederick W. Gunn. 1816-1881. Founder and master of The Gunnery school.
Gideon H. Hollister. 1817-1881. Lawyer, historian, state senator. Minister to Haiti (1868).
Orville H. Platt. 1827-1905. Studied law under Gideon Hollister. Served as Secretary of the State, in State Senate, as State’s Attorney. United States Senator from Connecticut (1879-1905). Author of Platt Amendment incorporated into constitution of Cuba (1901).
William Hamilton Gibson. 1850-1896. Artist, naturalist, author, lecturer.
Major General Benjamin D. Foulois. 1879-1967. Made first military airplane flight, Fort Sam Houston, Texas (1910). Chief of United States Army Air Corps (1931-1935). “Last of the First to Fly” (on his cemetery monument).
Erected 1982 by Town of Washington and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 38.467′ N, 73° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington Depot CT 06794, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Gunn Memorial Library (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Memorial To The Soldiers Who Served (approx. 2.8 miles away); Roxbury Veterans Monument (approx. 5½ miles away); Cadet Charles K. Hodge (approx. 5½ miles away); Roxbury (approx. 5.6 miles away); Mine Hill Preserve (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government • Military • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,624 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.