Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midland in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

German Town

 
 
German Town marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, March 3, 2007
1. German Town marker
Inscription. About 1719, five years after they immigrated to Germanna in present-day Orange Co., twelve German families moved here as lot owners of 1,805 acres on Licking Run claimed a year earlier by their trustees, John Fishback, John Hoffman, and Jacob Holtzclaw. Melchoir Brumback, Joseph Coons, Harman Fischback, Peter Hitt, John Kemper, John Joseph Martin, John Jacob Rector, John Spilman, and Tilman Weaver headed the other families. With their pastor, the Rev. Henry Hager, they constituted the first German Reformed congregation in the southern colonies. On 22 Aug. 1724, Thomas Fairfax, proprietor of the Northern Neck, issued them a land grant.
 
Erected 1995 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number CL-7.)
 
Location. 38° 37.685′ N, 77° 42.847′ W. Marker is in Midland, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is at the intersection of Meetze Road and Rogues Road, on the right when traveling south on Meetze Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midland VA 22728, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Marshall’s Birthplace (approx. 1.5 miles away); a different marker also named John Marshall’s Birthplace
Wider view of the German Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, March 3, 2007
2. Wider view of the German Town Marker
(approx. 1.6 miles away); John Marshall’s Birthplace Park (approx. 1.9 miles away); Stuart and Mosby (approx. 3.8 miles away); Catlett’s Station (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mosby’s Raid at Catlett’s Station (approx. 4.4 miles away); Stuart's Bivouac (approx. 4.8 miles away); Battle of Coffee Hill (Second Battle of Auburn) (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midland.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Germanna. (Submitted on July 18, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,423 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement