Near Zion Crossroads in Fluvanna County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Louisa County / Fluvanna County
takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of England’s Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the county’s outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z-23.)
Location. 37° 58.194′ N, 78° 13.224′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Troy VA 22974, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Louisa County / Fluvanna County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flora Molton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Campaign of 1781 (approx. 3.3 miles away); The “Regular” Methodist Conference (approx. 5.9 miles away); a different marker also named Campaign of 1781 (approx. 6.4 miles away); Albemarle County/Louisa County (approx. 6.7 miles away); Revolutionary War Campaign of 1781 (approx. 6.8 miles away); Boswell’s Tavern (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zion Crossroads.
Also see . . .
1. Louisa County History. (Submitted on April 7, 2009.)
2. History of Fluvanna County. (Submitted on April 7, 2009.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 828 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 7, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.