Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Field Hospitals - Second Corps
—Army of the Potomac —
The Division Hospitals of the Second Corps were located July 2nd at the Granite School House but were soon removed to near Rock Creek west of the creek and six hundred yards southeast of the Bushman House. They remained there until closed August 7th, 1863. These Hospitals cared for 2200 Union and 952 Confederate wounded.
Medial Director 2nd Corps Surgeon A.N. Dougherty U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon R.C. Stiles U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Surgeon J.F. Dyer 10th Massachusetts Infantry
3rd Division Surgeon Isaac Scott 7th West Va. Infantry
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon Justin Dwinelle 106th Pennsylvania.
Erected 1914 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Location. 39° 47.355′ N, 77° 12.875′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Hospital Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located near the George Bushman Farm, south of Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Field Hospitals - Twelfth Corps George Bushman Farm (about 600 feet away); Michael Trostle Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away); U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); Field Hospitals - Sixth Corps (approx. 0.7 miles away); Field Hospitals - Third Corps (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,148 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.