Kenton in Hardin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Erected 1812, by Colonel
Duncan McArthur, as one
of the forts along the line
of General Hull's march
against the British head-
quarters at Detroit.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C35.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 40° 38.836′ N, 83° 36.554′ W. Marker is in Kenton, Ohio, in Hardin County. Marker is on North Detroit Street (U.S. 68) near East Franklin Street (Ohio Route 309), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenton OH 43326, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hardin County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Liberty Garden" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mad River Railroad (about 700 feet away); Kenton Hardware Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hardin County Korean War Memorial Hardin County War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hardin County Viet Nam Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hardin County Ohio Civil War Soldier Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenton.
More about this marker. Although this historical marker is located in downtown Kenton, Ohio, on the front lawn of the Hardin County Courthouse, it is not situated at the actual site of Fort McArthur. The actual location of this War of 1812 era fortification is about 3 miles, to the WSW, outside of town, on the banks of the Scioto River.
Regarding Fort McArthur. Shortly before the start of the War of 1812 the American General William Hull, the commander of the American fortification on Michigan's border with Canada (located in Detroit), believed that unless his position was reinforced with additional troops, that his command would be in serious trouble once the war finally got under way. So he took it upon himself to travel down to southern Ohio in order to raise those additional troops.
As soon as General Hull had raised himself an army of soldiers, he began to march northward
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Hull's Road. This is a link to information provided by Ohio History Central, an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on August 13, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on November 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on September 7, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
4. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to (Submitted on March 24, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,240 times since then and 127 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 27, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on September 7, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.