Queensbury in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Half Way Brook
—The Seven Mile Post —
A noted military post, was midway between this marker and the brickyard. Its site was known locally as "The Garrison Grounds". The location was used as a fortified camp in 1757-58. The fort was erected in 1759. It was occupied by the forces of Baron Riedesel in the Burgoyne campaign of 1777. It was burned in 1780 in the Carleton Raid at the time of the "Northern Invasion".
Was a blockhouse with stockaded inclosure which occupied the rise of ground north of the brook and west of the road near the residence of W. H. Parker from 1755 to Revolutionary times. During that period it was one of the most important military halting places in North America.
Erected 1905 by New York State Historical Association.
Location. 43° 19.767′ N, 73° 39.75′ W. Marker is in Queensbury, New York, in Warren County. Marker is on Glenwood Avenue Touch for map. Marker is in a small community park, Hovey Pond Park. Glenwood Avenue connects Route 254 (Quaker Road) and Route 9 (Upper Glen Street). Hovey Pond is part of Half Way Brook. Marker is in this post office area: Queensbury NY 12804, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Half Way Brook (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Peace and Victory Monument (approx. half a mile away); Old Quaker Burying Ground (approx. half a mile away); Wing Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Korean War Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Blind Rock (approx. 0.9 miles away); Civil War Monument (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Queensbury.
More about this marker. The monument was originally located on the corner of Glenwood Avenue and Route 9, but was moved to its present location at Hovey Pond for "greater public exposure."
Categories. • Notable Places • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2009, by John Farrell of Lake George, New York. This page has been viewed 1,505 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 30, 2009, by John Farrell of Lake George, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.