Boston in Suffolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Captain Robert Keayne
Member of the Honourable Artillery
Company of London 1623
Devoted citizen of Boston
from 1635 to death in 1656
Liberal contributor for a town library for the maintenance of a free schoolmaster, for introducing pure water to Boston and for the foundation of Harvard College.
Founder of the first town house located where Old State House now stands.
Founder and first commander 1638 of the oldest military organization in America, the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts, by whom this tablet is erected to mark the site of his house June 1, 1925.
Erected 1925 by Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts.
Location. 42° 21.514′ N, 71° 3.463′ W. Marker is in Boston, Massachusetts, in Suffolk County. Marker is on Washington Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boston MA 02108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Freedom Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old State House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Old State House New England Courant (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the First Meeting House in Boston Built A.D. 1632 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Boston Massacre (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Corner Bookstore (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bunch of Grapes Tavern (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boston.
More about this marker. Marker is located across from the Old State House.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.