Near Wickliffe in Ballard County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Jeﬀerson Site / Indian Massacre
Built in 1780 by George Rogers Clark as part of impressive plan of settlement, conceived by Gov. Patrick Henry of Virginia, later pursued by and named for Gov. Thomas Jefferson. The fort was to protect US claim to its western border and to be a key trading post. It was abandoned, 1781. Over.
Resettled after Jackson Purchase. Important Union post in Civil War.
In 1781, the Chickasaws, led by a Scotchman, Colbert, aroused by use of their land without consent, besieged the fort for 5 days. Many settlers killed. Those left became desperate for provisions, already low because of the difficulty in reaching the fort. Gen. Clark arrived with reinforcements and supplies. Indians withdrew. Fort was abandoned thereafter. Over.
Erected 1970 by Kentucky Historical Society - Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1309.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 36° 57.336′ N, 89° 5.469′ W. Marker is near Wickliffe, Kentucky, in Ballard County. Marker is on Westvaco Road (U.S. 51/62), on the Touch for map. Located at the entrance to Fort Jefferson Memorial Cross Park. Marker is in this post office area: Wickliffe KY 42087, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Supply Base (here, next to this marker); Lewis and Clark in Kentucky Fort Jefferson (here, next to this marker); Fort Jefferson (a few steps from this marker); Fort Jefferson Memorial Cross at the Confluence (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lewis & Clark at Old Fort Jefferson (approx. 0.2 miles away); County Named, 1842 (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Prince of the French Explorers (approx. one mile away); King Mounds (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wickliffe.
Categories. • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,942 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on May 4, 2009. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.