St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Frederica - Oglethorpe
that time has spared of the
citadel of the town of Frederica
As an outpost against
The Spanish in Florida
Erected 1904 by The Georgia Society of Colonial Dames of America.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 31° 13.428′ N, 81° 23.601′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker can be reached from Frederica Drive. Touch for map. At Fort Frederica National Monument. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frederica - The Fort ( within shouting distance of this marker); Frederica - Candlemaker ( about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederica - Indian Interpreter ( about 600 feet away); Frederica - The Barricks ( about 700 feet away); A New House? ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederica - Huts and Houses Shoemaker and Soldier ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Tavernkeepers ( approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . New Georgia Encyclopedia - Fort Frederica. During its heyday, from 1736 to 1758, General James Oglethorpe's town and fort played a pivotal role in the struggle for empire between the competing interests of England and Spain. This clash of cultures pitted British redcoats, the Highland Independent Company of Foot, and coastal rangers and sympathetic Southeastern Indians against the Spanish forces. They were concentrated beyond "the debatable land" southward to St. Augustine, Florida. (Submitted on May 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 564 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.