London in Middlesex County, Ontario — Central Canada
The 1st Hussars
of the members of
THE 1ST HUSSARS
both the living and the dead, who together with
other Canadian and Allied servicemen
participated in the glorious campaign of 1944-1945
that led to the liberation of the Netherlands.
The Grateful Dutch Canadians of London
Re-dedicated June 6, 1998 by:
The Dutch Canadians Remember
Committee of 1995
Erected 1970 by The Dutch Canadians Remember Committee of 1995.
Location. 42° 59.429′ N, 81° 14.958′ W. Marker is in London, Ontario, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Central Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Markers are on "Holy Roller," the M4 Sherman tank on display in Victoria Park. Marker is in this post office area: London, Ontario N6A 3G7, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Holy Roller" ( here, next to this marker); 50th Anniversary of the Allied Invasion of Normandy ( here, next to this marker); The British Garrison in London ( within shouting distance of this marker); London Women's Monument London South African War Memorial ( about 210 meters away); Crimean War Cannons ( about 240 meters away); Veterans' Garden ( approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Veterans' Memorial Carillon ( approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in London.
Also see . . . The 1st Hussars. Around 1835 some of the settlers in the London area started to train in cavalry skills. When the British garrison left in 1856, they formed the First London Voluntary Troop of Cavalry. By 1866 there were four independent troops: London, St. Thomas, Courtright, and Kingsville. In May 1872, these were consolidated into one unit with headquarters in London. In 1892 the unit was renamed the 1st Hussars. (Submitted on May 16, 2009.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Heroes • Military • Notable Events • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,942 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.