Near Melrose in Paulding County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of Fort Brown
One of a chain of posts built
along the Auglaize River by
General William Henry Harrison
in his campaigns against the
British and Indians in the
War of 1812.
Presented to the State of
Ohio in the Sesquicentennial
Year of Statehood. By the
Monument builders of Ohio, Inc.
Erected 1953 by Monument Builders of Ohio, Inc.
Location. 41° 6.699′ N, 84° 24.881′ W. Marker is near Melrose, Ohio, in Paulding County. Marker is on County Road 171 0.2 miles south of County Road 177, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. This Historical marker is located south of Defiance, Ohio, in a remote area of rural Paulding County, Ohio, on the west side of the Auglaize River, just to the south of where the Little Auglaize River flows into the Auglaize River. Marker is in this post office area: Melrose OH 45861, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Indians (here, next to this marker); Fort Brown (here, next to this marker); Charloe (approx. 1.7 miles away); Miami-Erie and Wabash-Erie Canals Paulding County Carnegie Library (approx. 8.7 miles away); Paulding County Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away); Paulding County (approx. 8.8 miles away); Home-In-The-Wilderness 1821-1870 (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melrose.
More about this marker. This historical marker shares it's location with two additional historical markers (one on either side of it).
Regarding Site of Fort Brown. In the "Historical Sketch - Paulding County, Ohio," when discussing the early military history of the county, it states the following: "It was first traversed by Americans under Gen. 'Mad' Anthony Wayne in 1794 enroute to the Battle of Fallen Timbers. During the War of 1812, it was crossed again by Gen. James Winchester, who fought a running battle across Emerald Twp. with the British and Indians. Also in 1812, Ft. Brown was built at the confluence of the Big and Little Auglaize Rivers by a detachment of Gen. Wm. Henry Harrison under Colonel Samuel Wells."
When looking at the bigger picture, when General Harrison was conducting his military
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,165 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.