Melrose in Paulding County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1953 by Paulding County Ohio Sesquicentennial Committee.
Location. 41° 6.699′ N, 84° 24.881′ W. Marker is in Melrose, Ohio, in Paulding County. Marker is on County Road 171 0.2 miles south of County Road 177, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. This Historical marker is located south of Defiance, Ohio, in a remote area of rural Paulding County, Ohio, on the west side of the Auglaize River, just to the south of where the Little Auglaize River flows into the Auglaize River. Marker is in this post office area: Melrose OH 45861, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Indians (here, next to this marker); Site of Fort Brown (here, next to this marker); Charloe Miami-Erie and Wabash-Erie Canals (approx. 6.1 miles away); Paulding County Carnegie Library (approx. 8.7 miles away); Paulding County Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away); Paulding County (approx. 8.8 miles away); Home-In-The-Wilderness 1821-1870 (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melrose.
More about this marker. This historical marker shares it's location with two additional historical markers, that all are situated upon the original site of Fort Brown
Regarding Fort Brown. In the "Historical Sketch - Paulding County, Ohio," when discussing the early military history of the county, it states the following: "It was first traversed by Americans under Gen. 'Mad' Anthony Wayne in 1794 enroute to the Battle of Fallen Timbers. During the War of 1812, it was crossed again by Gen. James Winchester, who fought a running battle across Emerald Twp. with the British and Indians. Also in 1812, Ft. Brown was built at the confluence of the Big and Little Auglaize Rivers by a detachment of Gen. Wm. Henry Harrison
When looking at the bigger picture, when General Harrison was conducting his military operations in the Northwest, attempting to take back Detroit, invade Canada, and defeat the western British army and its Indian allies, he decided that with the logistical problems of moving his army through the hostile environment of the Great Black Swamp in northwestern Ohio, he would need to divide his army into three separate wings. The right wing would move up the Sandusky River Valley, the center wing would follow the mlitary road made by General Hull''s army, and the left wing would move up the Auglaize-Maumee River valleys. On his left wing General Harrison ordered a road to be built which would ultimately connect Piqua to Fort Defiance. Much of the road ended up being built along the western bank of the Auglaize River (and from Fort Amanda northward the Auglaize river was a navigable transportation route used extensively by the military). To protect his left wing's lines of supply and communication, General Harrison ordered several forts to be built from Piqua, Ohio to Fort Defiance. These forts ended up being, Fort Barbee (at modern day St. Mary's, Ohio), Fort Amanda (just outside of Spencerville, Ohio, situated at the head of navigation on the Auglaize River), Fort Jennings, and Fort Brown (situated just south of Fort Defiance, Ohio, at the confluence of the Little Auglaize River with the Auglaize River,
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,365 times since then and 219 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.