Resaca in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
William’s (1st) & Geary’s (2d) divs. [US] crossed at night on a temporary bridge. To hasten progress, Butterfield’s (3d) div. [US] moved on to Field’s -- further complicating affairs by getting there ahead of Schofield.
The 23d A. C., with Stoneman’s & McCook’s Cavalry, constituted the left wing of Sherman’s advance S. from Resaca.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 064-22.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 34.775′ N, 84° 51.769′ W. Marker is in Resaca, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker is at the intersection of West Pine Chapel Road and Pine Chapel Road, on the right when traveling east on West Pine Chapel Road. Touch for map. West Pine Chapel Road becomes Owens Gin Road at this intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Resaca GA 30735, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the Harlan’s Cross Roads (approx. one mile away); Field's Mill & Ferry (approx. 2 miles away); New Echota Ferry (approx. 3.7 miles away); New Echota (approx. 3.8 miles away); Historic Site in Journalism (approx. 3.8 miles away); Trail of Tears (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cherokee Indian Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); New Echota Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 804 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.