Hopewell, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Housing Several Thousand Federal Troops
Though tents and huts were the normal accommodations at City Point, Brevet Major W.P. Martin, a commissary officer, and his family were fortunate to find shelter in the residence of Captain Samuel Nelson Cook. The Cook House was appropriated by Union forces during the occupation of City Point 1864-65. The property was returned to Captain Cook August 1865, remaining in the Cook family until sold to Dr. Edward Ashlin Wilson in 1943.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 18.897′ N, 77° 16.466′ W. Marker is in Hopewell, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Prince Henry Avenue and Maplewood Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Prince Henry Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hopewell VA 23860, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Taverns (here, next to this marker); Women At City Point (within shouting distance of this marker); One Soldier, One Family, One War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Pointís Wiseman Family (about 400 feet away); Historic City Point (about 400 feet away); Dr. Peter Eppes House (about 500 feet away); Quartermaster Repair Shops (about 500 feet away); City Pointís Rails And Waterways (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hopewell.
More about this marker. On the upper left is a photo of the Maltby House with the caption, "Civilian visitors lodged in the well-appointed Maltby House, a hotel which stood near the present site of the James House (1016 Maplewood) shown above in an early photograph."
On the lower left is a photo of a typical encampment with the caption, "The area behind the interior defense line was dotted with regimental encampments as were sections of land west of Cedar Lane. Tents and huts can be seen in almost every picture taken at City Point during the Civil War."
On the upper right is a photo of the Cook House. The caption reads, "The Cook House, 600 Prince Henry Avenue (on the left), was built 1857-58 by Captain Samuel Nelson Cook, Mariner, on land acquired from Dr. Richard Eppes of Appomattox
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,444 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.