Williston in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ashley - Willis House
This Greek revival house was built between 1833 and 1850 and features a wide gable- front form unusual for the period. John Ashley and then Elijah Willis owned this land before 1850: the house was likely built by the Ashley family. Williston, chartered in 1858, was named for the Willis family, which gave land for a depot on the S.C. Rail Road, for a church (now First Baptist Church), and for a school.
The town's oldest house occupies a prominent location between the S.C. Rail Road and the Augusta Charleston Road. As W.T. Sherman's Federal army advanced through the area on February 8-9, 1865, Gen. Judson Kilpatrick used this house as his headquarters before burning most of the town and proceeding to Aiken and Columbia. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
Erected 2007 by The Barnwell County Museum and Historical Board. (Marker Number 6-17.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 33° 24.285′ N, 81° 25.703′ W. Marker is in Williston, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (State Highway Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 West Main Street, Williston SC 29853, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ashley House - 1820 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Best Friend (approx. 0.4 miles away); Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 8.7 miles away); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 9 miles away); Healing Springs (approx. 9 miles away); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 9 miles away); Solomon Blatt Highway (approx. 9 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williston.
Regarding Ashley - Willis House. National Register of Historic Places :
Ashley--Willis House (added 2004 - Building - #04000650)
Also known as Ashley House
312 W. Main St., Williston
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architectural Style: Greek Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Historic Sub-function:
♦ Current Function: Domestic
♦ Current Sub-function: Single Dwelling
Also see . . . Ashley - Willis House. National Register details for the house. Page includes several photos of the house (before the restoration work) and a link to the nomination documentation. (Submitted on August 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,311 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on June 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 10, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 31, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9. submitted on February 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 10, 11. submitted on February 26, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.