Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Athens Cemetery
This site is the original burial ground for Athens and contains the remains of its earliest citizens. It is a part of the original tract of land purchased for The University of Georgia by Governor John Milledge in 1801. All people in Athens were allowed to bury their dead here free of charge. Some markers are uninscribed local field stones, others are of imported marble. Two Revolutionary soldiers are known to be buried here as well as Dr. Moses Waddell, president of the University 1819-1829. Because of overcrowding here, Oconee Hill Cemetery, located nearby to the southeast, was opened in 1856. A number of graves and stones were moved to it. The original cemetery was more than twice as large as now; land was lost as the University and town grew and encroached from all sides. The last known burials occurred in the 1880s. Today the Old Athens Cemetery, with its beautiful park-like setting, serves as a place of quiet reflection and remembrance of Athens long ago. The Old Athens Cemetery is maintained by the Old Athens Cemetery Foundation, Inc.
Erected 1996 by The Thomas Miller Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Location. 33° 57.267′ N, 83° 22.375′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Navy Pre-Flight School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old College (about 600 feet away); Abraham Baldwin (about 700 feet away); Site of First Classes (about 700 feet away); First Home of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Garden Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Toombs Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herty Field (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,214 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?