Near Duncannon in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Clark's Ferry Bridge Company
Christian W. Lynch - Vice-president
William Wills - Secretary
Patrick F. Duncan - Treasurer
Frank M. Masters - Chief Engineer
Ralph Modjeski - Consulting Engineer
Paul P. Cret - Consulting Architect
The Vang Const. Co. - Contractors
(Around relief artwork of the original bridge)
The original structure at this location
built 1828-29 replaced 1924-25
Constructed and operated as a public utility in accordance
with the laws of the commonwealth and dedicated to the
people for their convenience and use.
The earliest means of transportation over the Susquehanna River near this location was a ferry owned and operated by Robert Clark, a pioneer. In 1828-29 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania replaced the ferry with a dam and a highway Toll Bridge supporting a towing-path which was constructed and operated as a part of the State's canal system, for the purpose of transporting canal boats across the river.
In 1857 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania sold its entire canal system to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, which company in 1867 organized and transferred this property to the Pennsylvania Canal Company which was operated as a part of the Pennsylvania Railroad Transportation System.
In 1915 the Pennsylvania Canal Company
In 1924-25, to meet the increasing demands of motor vehicular traffic, the Clark's Ferry Bridge Company replaced the original structure with the bridge.
Location. 40° 24.136′ N, 77° 0.661′ W. Marker is near Duncannon, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of William Penn Highway (U.S. 22/322) and County Road 849, on the right when traveling south on William Penn Highway. Touch for map. Located on the northern end of the Clark's Ferry Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Duncannon PA 17020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennsylvania Canal (approx. half a mile away); Lightning Guider Sleds (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 2.1 miles away); Col. Timothy Green (approx. 4.7 miles away); Rockville Bridge (approx. 5.7 miles away); Village of Heckton (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duncannon.
More about this marker.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,086 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.