Shakopee in Scott County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
An eight-foot stockade enclosed the house and a half-acre garden.
The building was wrecked about 1907.
Erected 1954 by Minn Dept of Highways (MHD). (Marker Number SC-SPC-069.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 44° 48.067′ N, 93° 30.25′ W. Marker is in Shakopee, Minnesota, in Scott County. Marker is on County Route 101 0.2 miles east of County Route 17, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The Mill Pond Roadside Parking Area is a small, 0.1-acre site within the city limits of Shakopee. Marker is in this post office area: Shakopee MN 55379, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shakopee Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); City Square Park (approx. 4.8 miles away); Brinkhaus Livery Stable (approx. 4.9 miles away); Jonathan in Chaska Little Rapids Fur Post (approx. 5.4 miles away); Van De Veire Knoll (approx. 6.2 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Church by-the River, Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The site is accessed via Cavanaugh Drive, an east-west asphalt paved city street that runs parallel to Highway 101 (there is no longer access directly from 101.)
A sign for the marker in Shakopee will send you to the wrong side of the highway. Follow 101 east out of Shakopee, turn right on Viking Steel Drive, and take another quick right onto Cavanaugh Drive.
The site includes the foundation of the Pond Mission House which was built in 1847 by Rev. Samuel W. Pond and a marker about the mission mounted on a large boulder. The approximately 6' high boulder is mounted on end in a horseshoe-shaped, tan, limestone rubble base that measures about 4' by 5'. There is an aluminum plaque (rectangular with a curvilinear top) mounted on the southern side of the boulder (facing away from Highway 101). The seals of the Minnesota Historical Society and the Minnesota Department of Highways are cast at the bottom of the plaque. The text
The site was originally an extensive roadside parking area built by the NYA (National Youth Administration) in 1941 that stretched for over 600' on both sides of Highway 101. Visitors could cross back and forth via a culvert that went under the highway. There were trails, picnic areas, a mill pond, and parking areas. The boulder marker was originally placed north of the mission foundation and faced Highway 101 to the north. It stood just east of an asphalt-paved entrance drive that led from Highway 101 south to a small rectangular parking area west of the foundation that was lined with timber posts. A timber hanging-arm sign of the type commonly used by the Highway Department's Roadside Development Division stood just east of the entrance drive. The sign read "Mill Pond Roadside Parking Area."
All that remains of the site are the mission foundation and the marker. The northern part of the site is gone. The stone-veneered concrete culvert has been replaced by a modern highway bridge. The southern parking area, picnic area, trails, and plantings have been removed. The entrance drive, parking area, and sign constructed circa 1954 were removed at an unknown date. The boulder marker was subsequently moved to the southern side of the Mission foundation and turned to face south.
Regarding Pond Mission.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Pond Mission Site. (PDF) Minnesota Department of of Transportation. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Martha Decker of Shakopee, Minnesota.)
2. Pond brothers. (PDF) Minnesota Historical Society article in the "Minnesota History" magazine. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Martha Decker of Shakopee, Minnesota.)
Additional keywords. Dakota Indians
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2009, by Martha Decker of Shakopee, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 1,496 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2009, by Martha Decker of Shakopee, Minnesota. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 10, 2009, by Martha Decker of Shakopee, Minnesota. 7. submitted on May 5, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 8, 9. submitted on May 6, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.