Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Residence of Alice McLellan Birney
(1872 - 1884)
The home was probably built by Miss Mary Ann Nesbit prior to 1869, in which year it was purchased by William R. Gignilliatt.
In 1887 it was bought by St. James Episcopal Church for use as a Rectory.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-35A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.64′ N, 84° 33.261′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Kennesaw Avenue NW 0 miles north of Stewart Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 354 Kennesaw Avenue NW, Marietta GA 30060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Archibald Howell Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Root House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clarke Library Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Zion Heritage Museum (approx. 0.6 Kennesaw House (approx. 0.6 miles away); UDC And Kennesaw House (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Oakton" (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Regarding Residence of Alice McLellan Birney. The house was originally located at the corner of Church Street and Kennesaw Avenue in Marietta, and this is where the marker was installed in 1953. In the 1980s (date uncertain) the church required the land for expansion and a parking lot. The house was sold and moved approximately one-half mile north on Kennesaw Avenue, and rebuilt. The marker was moved and reinstalled at the new location.
Categories. • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,102 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.