Union in Union County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Union Community Hospital
Union Community Hospital served the black community and nearby areas from 1932 to 1975. Built as a house ca. 1915, it was converted into a hospital by Dr. L. W. Long in 1932 with the support of several local churches. The building was covered in brick veneer in the 1930s, and a rear addition was built in 1949. The hospital was listed in the National Register of Historical Places in 1996.
Dr. Lawrence W. Long (1906-1985), a native of Union County, was educated at Howard University and Meharry Medical College before returning to Union and founding this hospital. Long also hosted annual clinics attended by doctors from S.C. and the Southwest 1934-1975. A lifelong leader in medicine and public health who was also active in civic affairs in Union, Long was named Doctor of the Year in 1958.
Erected 2004 by The L. W. Long Rescource Center. (Marker Number 44-10.)
Location. 34° 42.877′ N, 81° 37.539′ W. Marker is in Union, South Carolina, in Union County. Marker is on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 250 West Main St., Union SC 29379, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker John Pratt ( within shouting distance of this marker); Union County Confederate Monument ( within shouting distance of this marker); Union County Jail ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union County Revolutionary War ( about 300 feet away); Union Mill ( about 800 feet away); Union County Veterans Memorial ( approx. ¼ mile away); Presbyterian Cemetery ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Jefferson Davis Dined in This House ( approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union.
Categories. • 20th Century • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2009, by Wes Cox of Union, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 950 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2009, by Wes Cox of Union, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.