Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Hope in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cannon

 
 
Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, June 19, 2009
1. Cannon Marker
Inscription. This nine inch Dahlgren smoothbore gun was placed here to mark the colonial approach to town from the ferry landing and was dedicated on July 5, 1907. The gun is on loan to the Borough of New Hope from the US Navy. It was cast in 1855 at the West Point foundry and installed on the USS Minnesota where it saw action at the Battle of Hampton Roads between the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia (Merrimack) on March 9, 1862. Years later it was installed on the USS Richmond which saw action in Admiral Farragut's fleet. It was fired 108 times as of September 1888.
 
Erected by New Hope Historical Society.
 
Location. 40° 21.795′ N, 74° 57.078′ W. Marker is in New Hope, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Ferry Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Hope PA 18938, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Hope World War I Memorial (here, next to this marker); Indian Logan (a few steps from this marker); Road to Monmouth Battlefield (a few steps from this marker); Ferry Landing (within
Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, June 19, 2009
2. Cannon Marker
New Hope WWI Memorial in background. As indicated on the marker, the gun was produced by West Point Foundry, one of 98 produced by that source between 1855 and 1862. At proofing, the gun weighed 9,177 pounds. It served aboard the USS Minnesota for much of its service life.
shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Ferry Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hope Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); Aquetong Creek (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Solebury National Bank (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Hope.
 
Categories. MilitaryWar, US Civil
 
Cannon - Left side markings image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, June 19, 2009
3. Cannon - Left side markings
The initials T.A.H. indicate the inspector - Timothey A. Hunt. The "P" is the proofing mark.
Cannon - Right side markings image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, June 19, 2009
4. Cannon - Right side markings
On this trunnion, the caliber of gun (9 inch) is indicated above the year of manufacture (1856).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 925 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement