Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kenbridge in Lunenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Johnís Church

Stolen Silver

 

óWilson-Kautz Raid ó

 
St. John's Church CWT Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
1. St. John's Church CWT Marker
Inscription. In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling stock. While passing through Lunenburg County on the return to the Union 1ines at Petersburg, discipline broke down among some of the Federal raiders who pillaged public and private property. The plundering of St. John's Church, from which a silver communion service was taken, especially outraged local residents. The service was later recovered by Confederate cavalry from Wilson's headquarters wagons abandoned at the Battle of Ream's Station on June 29. The Church building was moved from its original location three miles south to this spot after the war.

(sidebar)
This communion set is on display at the Ripberger Public Library, located three-and-one-half blocks north at 117 S. Broad Street.

“The residence of Captain William A. Adams...was robbed of every light article of value it contained, the furniture broken up, and the house then committed to the flames. We hear many other reports of valuable residences ransacked and burnt.” - Richmond Daily Dispatch, July 1, 1864

“[The Federals plundered] a set of silver service,
Shade St & S Broad St. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
2. Shade St & S Broad St.
for which was paid $5,000 before the war. They also took all of Mr. [Edward] Stokeís Negro men, and much gold and silver coin.”
- Richmond Daily Dispatch, July 9, 1864
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Location. 36° 57.513′ N, 78° 7.721′ W. Marker is in Kenbridge, Virginia, in Lunenburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Shade Street and South Broad Street, on the left when traveling east on Shade Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenbridge VA 23944, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Craig's Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Kenbridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Glebe of Cumberland Parish (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lunenburg County / Nottoway County (approx. 4.8 miles away); Nathaniel Lee Hawthorne (approx. 5.5 miles away); The People's Community Center (approx. 5.6 miles away); Town of Victoria (approx. 5.9 miles away); St. Johnís Protestant Episcopal Church (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenbridge.
 
More about this marker. In the center is a photo of the communion set.
 
Also see . . .  Civil War Traveler - Southside Virginia & Lee's Retreat. Wilson-Kautz Raid. (Submitted on June 22, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 735 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement