Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
protected first settlers
Territory seat of
The Rotary Club of Marietta
Marking a Place in History with Service Since 1921
Erected by The Rotary Club of Marietta.
Location. 39° 25.298′ N, 81° 27.675′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Street and Washington Street (Ohio Route 7), on the right when traveling south on Second Street. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Campus Martius Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Second Street, Marietta OH 45750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The American Union Lodge No. 1 Free and Accepted Masons (a few steps from this marker); The Northwest Ordinance, 1787 / The Ohio Company Purchase (within shouting distance of this marker); Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Merydith House Pioneer Families of the Ohio Company (about 500 feet away); Steam Towboat "W. P. Snyder, Jr." (about 500 feet away); Mighty River / Learning the River (about 700 feet away); River Town / Sails and Steam / The Highway West (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Also see . . . Campus Martius Museum. The Campus Martius Museum highlights migration in Ohio's history. The museum is on the site of the fortification built by the Ohio Company of Associates, as their headquarters, in 1788 when they founded the first organized American settlement in the Northwest Territory. The restored Rufus Putnam house, part of the original fort, is now enclosed within a wing of the museum. Behind the museum is the Ohio Company's Land Office. (Submitted on June 27, 2009.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 705 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.