New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Titanic Memorial Lighthouse
LATITUDE 41°46' NORTH
APRIL 15, 1912
This lighthouse was originally erected by public subscription. In 1913 it stood above the East River on the corner of the old Seaman's' Church Institute at the corner of South Street and Coenties Slip. From 1913 to 1967 the time ball at the top of the lighthouse would drop down the pole to signal twelve noon to the ships in the harbor. This time ball mechanism was activated by a telegraphic signal from the National Observatory in Washington, D.C.
In July 1968 the Seaman's' Church Institute moved to its present quarters at 15 State Street. That year the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse was donated by the Kaiser-Nelson Steel & Salvage Corporation to the South Street Seaport Museum. It was erected on this corner at the entrance to the museum complex in May 1976 with funds provided by the Exxon Corporation.
Location. 40° 42.447′ N, 74° 0.244′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Pearl and Fulton Street. Touch for map. Located at the entrance of the South Street
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Street Seaport (a few steps from this marker); 207 - 211 Water Street (within shouting distance of this marker); First Underground Central Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fulton Fish Waist - 142 Beekman Street (about 400 feet away); Wavertree (about 800 feet away); Peking (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Clinton (approx. 0.2 miles away); FishBridge Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Categories. • 20th Century • Notable Events • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2009, by Erik Lander of Brooklyn, New York. This page has been viewed 931 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2009, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 3. submitted on April 2, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4. submitted on June 30, 2009, by Erik Lander of Brooklyn, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.