Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Covington in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Stoneman Raid

 
 
The Stoneman Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2009
1. The Stoneman Raid Marker
Inscription. In July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Shermanís army [US] closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” Sherman sought to force its evacuation by sending Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman, with three cavalry brigades (2112 men and 2 guns), of the Army of the Ohio cavalry to cut the Central of Georgia R.R. by which the defenders [CS] were supplied. On the 27th, Stoneman moved south through Decatur, crossed the Ocmulgee (Yellow) River near Covington, and camped two miles west of Covington at 4 A.M. on the 28th for four hours.

The column passed through Covington about 9 A.M. and marched to Monticello (27 miles SE). There Stoneman learned that there were no bridges over the Ocmulgee above Macon by which he could reach the railroad; so he decided to destroy it at and beyond Macon instead. Nearing Macon on the 30th, he detached part of the 14th Illinois Cavalry which wrecked railway facilities at Griswoldville, Gordon, McIntyre and Toomsboro (E of Macon), and burned trains, trestles and the railway bridge over the Oconee River.

At Macon (65 miles SE), he was turned back by Georgia Militia, strongly entrenched. Attempting to retreat, he was brought to bay next morning at Sunshine Church (19 miles NE of Macon) by Brig. Gen Alfred Iverson, Jr., who, with only 1300 cavalry
The Stoneman Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 20, 2009
2. The Stoneman Raid Marker
The marker is between two other markers (The March to the Sea, and Garrard's Cavalry Raid) at the small picnic area.
[CS] had marched to intercept him. Deluded into believing that he was being surrounded, Stoneman covered the escape northward of Adamsí and Capronís brigades, then he surrendered, with about 600 men, to what Iverson had led him to believe was a superior force.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 107-4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 36.18′ N, 83° 51.504′ W. Marker is in Covington, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is on U.S. 278 0 miles west of Elm Street NE, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in a picnic area in front of a Dairy Queen restaurant. Marker is in this post office area: Covington GA 30015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The March to the Sea (here, next to this marker); Garrardís Cavalry Raid (a few steps from this marker); Lucius Q. C. Lamar (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newton County War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); To The Confederate Dead of Newton County (approx. half a mile away); Covington Square (approx. half a mile away); Covington City School (approx. half a mile away); City Hall (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 901 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement