Near Silverwood in Fountain County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lodi Mineral and Artesian Well
Salt discovered by Norbourn Thomas in 1829.
Capacity: 200 bushel of salt every 24 hours.
Depth 1,135 feet - Deepest in the United States at that time.
Artesian water of Medicinal value was discovered.
Became a Health Spa in 1921.
Water bottled and sold in many States.
Recreational area several years after well ceased flowing.
Erected 1976 by Fountain County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 57.376′ N, 87° 24.217′ W. Marker is near Silverwood, Indiana, in Fountain County. Marker is on South Coffing Brothers Road north of State Road 234, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4670 South Coffing Brothers Road, Kingman IN 47952, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Silver Island Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Harrison's Crossing (approx. 2.6 miles away); American Legion Veterans (approx. 3.8 miles away); Honor Roll of Iraq and Afghanistan War Deaths from Indiana (approx. 3.8 miles away); Eugene Covered Bridge (approx. Newport Covered Bridge (approx. 4.8 miles away); Vermillion County Courthouse (approx. 4.9 miles away); Vermillion County Jail (approx. 5 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Indiana - Vol II - 1918 ::. Outlines Lodi Mineral Artesian Well. Wabash and Erie Canal brought cheaper salt thusly ending ability to keep well as a paying business. Health Spa in 1921 and sales of bottled water continued for a number of years. (Submitted on July 3, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Features • Natural Resources • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,124 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 3, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.