Highland in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Pettibone Creek Mills
In 1856 Lockwood built another dam and gristmill on Pettibone Creek north of present day M59. It is said wagons sometimes lined up ten deep in front of the mill while farmers waited for their grain to be ground. The miller used a "toll box" to measure and take a portion of each farmer's grain as payment for his services. In later years this mill was owned by John Maugh who operated it from 1902 until the mill was sold and razed in 1943.
Highland Township's earliest village, Spring Mills, was platted in 1846. Originally called the Village of Highland, it was located along Harvey Lake Road. The gristmill, the sawmill and the cider mill, all on Pettibone Creek, gave the community
Erected 2009 by Pettibone Creek Chapter No. 777.
Location. 42° 38.614′ N, 83° 36.627′ W. Marker is in Highland, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Town Center Drive and Highland Road (Michigan Highway 59) when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Highland Township public library. Marker is in this post office area: Highland MI 48356, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village Of Highland Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Haven Hill Getaway (approx. 2.4 miles away); Edsel Ford's Leadership (approx. 2.4 miles away); Haven Hill Lodge (approx. 2.4 miles away); Haven Hill Carriage House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Haven Hill Farm (approx. 2.8 miles away); Haven Hill Gatehouse (approx. 3.4 miles away); Genevieve Gillette (approx. 3.4 miles away).
Categories. • 20th Century • Government • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.