Acworth in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Wm. Nickols House
Hood’s Corps [CS] followed Hardee’s, May 24, 25, from Etowah River (at R. R. Bridge), reaching New Hope Ch. in time to check 20th A. C. [US] at that point. Hood’s Corps was rear guard of Johnston’s march to checkmate Sherman’s forces [US] moving toward Dallas, on roads westward to outflank Johnston’s position in the Allatoona mountains. Stewart’s Div. of Hood’s Corps camped at the Nickols farm, night of May 24, 1864.
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 033-34.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 3.195′ N, 84° 43.417′ W. Marker is in Acworth, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Dallas-Acworth Highway NW (Georgia Route 92) and North Shores Drive NW, on the right when traveling south on Dallas-Acworth Highway NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Acworth GA 30101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hardee’s, Hood’s & French’s H’dq’rs. (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site ~ Mason’s Bridge Peters-Davenport House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Railroad Block-house (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Old Allatoona Church (approx. 3 miles away); Cross Roads Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Durham House (approx. 3.7 miles away); James Foster House (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Acworth.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 934 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.