Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr.

 
 
The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
1. The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. Marker (Side A)
Inscription. Side A:
The W.P. SNYDER Jr. is one of the few links between the age of steam-powered, stern-wheeled towboats and the diesel-powered, propeller-driven vessels that push barges on America's rivers today. The James Rees and Sons Company in Pittsburgh built the boat for the Carnegie Steel Company, and she was launched in 1918 as the W.H. CLINGERMAN. During the boat's working life, she primarily pushed barges loaded with coal on the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers. After various changes in name, the Crucible Steel Company of America bought the boat in 1945 and named her the W.P. SNYDER Jr. after the company's president. Crucible retired the SNYDER in 1954 and, as was the fate of her kind, she would have probably been scrapped. In 1955, however, the Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen and the Ohio Historical Society concluded that one example of a steam towboat should be preserved.
(Continued on the other side)

Side B:
(Continued from the other side)
Mr. W.P. Snyder Jr. and the Crucible Company agreed and donated the boat to the Ohio Historical Society. The SNYDER arrived in Marietta on September 16, 1955. The SNYDER carried no passengers or cargo. It was a towboat built to push barges and accommodate crew. The normal complement was approximately 20 people, including a captain, pilot, mate, engineer
The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
2. The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. Marker (Side B)
and assistant engineers, deckhands, maids, and a cook. In addition to the engine room and pilothouse, the boat has eleven crew staterooms, four commodes, three showers, a bathtub, two pantries, a refrigerator, cookhouse, dining room, and laundry. The SNYDER is approximately 175 feet long (including her 21-foot paddlewheel) and 32 feet wide. Her draft is approximately 5 feet. Two engines, on either side of the engine room, pushed the boat and barges along at speeds of about 8 miles per hour.
 
Erected 2005 by J. Mack Gamble Fund of Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-84.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 25.225′ N, 81° 27.787′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Front Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Ohio River Museum, 601 Front Street, about fifty feet from the W. P. Snyder Jr. docked in the Muskingum River. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Life on the River / Boats on the Ohio (a few steps from
The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
3. The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. and Marker
The Captain Tom R. Greene Memorial Navigation Light is between the W. P. Snyder Jr. and it's marker.
this marker); The W. P. Snyder Jr. (a few steps from this marker); Tour of the Snyder (a few steps from this marker); Mighty River / Learning the River (a few steps from this marker); River Town / Sails and Steam / The Highway West (a few steps from this marker); Oweva Engine (a few steps from this marker); Flood Heights (a few steps from this marker); Oldest Pilothouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
4. The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr.
Captain Tom R. Greene Memorial Navigation Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
5. Captain Tom R. Greene Memorial Navigation Light Marker
Presented by his many friends and the Propeller Club of the United States Port of Cincinnati, Ohio 1952. Sponsored by Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen.
Captain Tom R. Greene Memorial Navigation Light and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
6. Captain Tom R. Greene Memorial Navigation Light and Marker
The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. in background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement