Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Genoa in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Pink House

 
 
The Pink House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
1. The Pink House Marker
Inscription.
Built 1855 by Col. John Reese, who established a trading post, Mormon Station, (Genoa) along Emigrant Trail to California.

Genoa becomes first settlement in Nevada.

For over 145 years The Pink House has been a famous Nevada landmark.

 
Location. 39° 0.2′ N, 119° 50.717′ W. Marker is in Genoa, Nevada, in Douglas County. Marker is on Genoa Lane near Jacks Valley Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 162 Genoa Lane, Genoa NV 89411, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nevada’s First Newspaper (within shouting distance of this marker); Genoa or “Mormon Station” of the Pony Express (within shouting distance of this marker); We Made It! The End of the Great Basin (within shouting distance of this marker); About Your Journey... (within shouting distance of this marker); John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Originally – The Raycraft Dance Hall (about 300 feet away); Douglas Lodge #12, F& AM (about 300 feet away); Mormon Station (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Genoa.
 
Also see . . .
The Pink House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
2. The Pink House Marker

1. The Pink House. (Submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. The History of Genoa. The first permanent settlement was established in the spring of 1851 by Colonel John Reese, a Mormon, who planned to open a trading post on the overland trail. He was a partner with his brother Enoch in the J. & E. Reese Mercantile firm at Salt Lake City. The party arrived in Carson Valley with 13 wagons loaded with eggs, bacon, flour, seed grain and other kinds of seeds. Stephen A. Kinsey, Reese's nephew, acted as guide. Kinsey stopped for a time at a place on the Carson River called Ragtown. This point did not seem favorable so he moved up the river into one of the most fertile of valleys. (Submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Pink House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
3. The Pink House
The Pink House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
4. The Pink House
This Property Has Been
Placed on the
National Register
of Historical Places

By the United States
Department of the Interior
Circa 1855 - The Pink House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
5. Circa 1855 - The Pink House
Plaque Located Above Front Door
1855 - Pink House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
6. 1855 - Pink House
Plaque Located Next to Entrance Gate
The Pink House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2009
7. The Pink House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,680 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement