Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mansfield in Richland County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Civil War Cannons

 
 
Civil War Cannons Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 6, 2009
1. Civil War Cannons Marker
Inscription. 24 pdr. Flank Howitzer - Model 1844 - Cast 1864 Maker; Fort Pitt Foundry, Pittsburgh, PA. Used on Casement Flank of fortifications to protect against infantry assults [sic]. Range; 1322 yds. at 5 degree Elevation. Bore Dia; 5.82”
 
Location. 40° 45.356′ N, 82° 32.524′ W. Marker is in Mansfield, Ohio, in Richland County. Touch for map. Marker is in Central Park, about 200 feet SW of the Block House, off Brinkerhoff Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Mansfield OH 44906, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Chapman (a few steps from this marker); The Sultana Disaster (within shouting distance of this marker); 120th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Johnny Appleseed" Monument (about 700 feet away); Mansfield Block House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sultana Tragedy (approx. 1.4 miles away); Commander Edward Parker Wood (approx. 1.4 miles away); Madison Township Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mansfield.
 
Additional comments.
1. 24 Pdr Flank Howitzers
These howitzers were typically
Civil War Cannons image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 6, 2009
2. Civil War Cannons
Marker is on other side of near cannon base.
mounted in fortifications to cover the close approaches to the fort walls. Only rarely were the flank howitzers employed in the field. A typical Model 1844 weighed 1,470 pounds. Examples of this type were produced from 1844 to 1864, by seven different foundries. Two of those at the park were cast by Cyrus Alger (Boston, Massachusetts) in 1847, with registry numbers 123 and 138. The other two were produced by Seyfert, McManus & Co. (Reading Pennsylvania) in 1864, and has the registry numbers 60 and 76.
    — Submitted July 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitaryWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 918 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement