Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A City Divided
John Wagoner's barber shop was located in this corner of Public Square during the Civil War. Wagoner, a free black, operated a popular establishment, catering mostly to white customers. In November 1861, the ship was looted by a mob of Union soldiers. Grocery stores and other businesses, owned by men whose sons joined the Confederacy, also were targets from time to time.
The Ransom of Hagerstown
On July 6, 1864, General John McCausland's Confederate cavalry demanded a ransom of $20,000 under penalty of destruction by fire. It was within this building that General McCausland first met City Councilman Matthew Barber to make his ransom demands.
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area.
Location. 39° 38.533′ N, 77° 43.215′ Touch for map. Located on the Public Square in the center of Hagerstown. Marker is in this post office area: Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hagerstown Ransomed (a few steps from this marker); Hagerstown (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Treatment of the Wounded (within shouting distance of this marker); First Battle of Hagerstown (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Battle of Hagerstown (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ransom of Hagerstown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Last Confederate Incursion North of the Potomac River (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
More about this marker. In the upper right is a photo of the Public Square shortly after the Civil War looking westward along Washington Street. In the center right is a portrait of City Councilman Matthew Barber. At the lower left are two copies of the Hagerstown Mail mastheads.
Categories. • African Americans • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,103 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on July 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.